Saturday, January 16, 2010

friendship

For most of my teenage life I have always had a boy I was interested in. Even when I wasn't dating someone, I usually primarily hung out with "the guys." My best friend is a boy. I liked boys because they were not jealous or catty or gossipy - they were interested in having fun and having good conversations about life, not about who was dating who.

However, over the last six months or so I have realized how important it is to have girl friends. Maybe this is kind of a silly thing to think about. But I really am starting to realize how much women need each other and can support each other in ways that relationships with men can't. I have had the opportunity the last couple of semesters to live with women who are very strong and are really good examples to me, and have always been completely supportive, even when they didn't know me very well yet. I have developed some really strong friendships through visiting teaching, and we are still close now, even though that particular calling has ended. I went to an old roommate's wedding on Thursday and had the time of my life not because some guy asked for my number or asked me to dance but because I got to have the first good talk with my former roommate in months. After having lunch with my sister and her best friend today, I feel completely rejuvenated and ready to face all the crazy things that are coming at me this semester.

So my conclusion? Well, I am dating someone who is in my opinion one of the best guys I know. It is a really good relationship. However, no matter how good that relationship is, I still need to spend time with my girls and develop those strong friendships. Balance is everything. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment